Burns and Scalds: Symptoms, Causes and Complications
What is Mean by Burn?
What is Scald?
There are so many things which cause burns including-
- Hot liquid or steam,
- Electrical currents,
- Hot metal, glass, or other objects,
- Radiation therapy to treat cancer or radiation from X-rays,
- Some key chemicals such as strong acids, lye, paint thinner or gasoline,
- Sunlight or ultraviolet light from a sunlamp or tanning bed.
What are the Causes of Scalds?
There are some reasons for scalds which are in the below:
- Boiling water,
- Steam from boiling water,
- Any other hot liquid such as tea, coffee, hot oils, etc.
Sign and Symptoms of Burns and Scalds:
All the signs and symptoms of burn have pointed out in the following:
- Peeling skin,
- Red skin,
- White or charred skin,
- Charred mouth,
- Burned lips,
- Burns on the head, face, or neck,
- Change in voice,
- Singed nose hairs or eyebrows,
- Difficulty breathing,
- Dark, carbon-stained mucus,
- Pain (The degree of pain is not related to the harshness of the burn. The most serious burns can be painless),
What are the Complications of Burns?
Different complications of the burn are listed in the following according to categories:
- Fluid overload,
- Renal dysfunction,
- Stress gastroduodenal ulcers,
- Pulmonary dysfunction,
- Multiple organ dysfunctions,
- Laryngeal edema,
- Shock- Hypovolemia, and Neurologic.
- Protein-losing enteropathy,
- Cerebral damage,
- Failed skin graft,
- Wound infection.
- Contractures –limbs, neck,
- Functional disability,
- Post-burn contracture,
- Posttraumatic stress,
- Marjolein’s ulcer,
- Scarring- keloid, hypertrophic.
- What do you mean by scalds?
- What is mean burns?
- What is mean by scalds?
- What are the causes of a burn?
- What is the difference between burns and scalds?
- What causes burns?
- What causes scalds?
- What is the most common cause of burns?
- What are the clinical manifestations of burns?
- What are the clinical features of burns?
- What are the common signs and symptoms of burns?
- What are the common symptoms of burns?
- What are the major signs of burns?
- What are the common Complications of Burns?
- List the complications of burns.