Most Common Sites of Ectopic Pregnancy
What is Ectopic Pregnancy or Tubal Pregnancy?
Most Common Sites of Ectopic Pregnancy:
There are some common sites of ectopic pregnancy which are listed below:
- Fallopian tube- It includes Ampulla, Isthmus, Fimbria, and Interstitial, etc.
- Broad ligament,
- Very rarely in different sites of the uterus like corneal, rudimentary horn, angular, intramural.
Abdominal activity: Primary- when a fertilized ovum is primarily implanted into the abdominal cavity and in case of secondary- when tubal rupture occurs and implantation occurs in the abdominal cavity.
All the outcomes of ectopic pregnancy are listed in the following:
1. Tubal abortion:
- Discharge of ovum into the lumen after rupture of the fallopian tube. It may result in the following:
- Complete abortion,
- Incomplete abortion,
- Complete absorption,
- Missed abortion-tubal mole.
2. Tubal rupture:
- Intra peritoneal rupture,
- Extraperitoneal rupture.
3. For fetus death:
After death, the fetus may be-
- Absorbed completely,
- Maybe mummified,
- Maybe calcified,
- Maybe infected,
- Adiopocere formation may occur.
There are some major risk factors of ectopic pregnancy which are presented below:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (6 fold increased risks),
- Use of IUCDs (3-5% increased risks),
- Smoking (2.5% increased risks),
- ART pregnancies (3-5% increase risks),
- Tubal damage (Surgical occlusions damage),
- Tubal surgery (5.8% increased risks),
- Salpingitis isthmic nodes (3.5% increased risks),
- Prior ectopic pregnancy (10 fold increased risks),
- The risk of the age of ectopic pregnancy is 3 fold greater in women of 35-44 years as compared to 18-24 years.
- Non-white race (1.5 fold increase risk).
- What is an ectopic pregnancy?
- What is tubal pregnancy?
- What are the most common sites of tubal pregnancy?
- Where is an ectopic pregnancy located?
- What are the common sites of ectopic pregnancy?
- List the sites of ectopic pregnancy.
- What is the possible outcome of ectopic pregnancy?
- What is the possible outcome of tubal pregnancy?
- What are the risk factors of ectopic pregnancy?
- Who is at risk for an ectopic pregnancy?
- What is the major risk factor for ectopic pregnancy?