How Many Types of Splints are There?
What is Splint or Splinting in Medical Term?
There are some key purposes of splinting which are the below:
- To immobilize the part.
- To apply traction and maintain reduction of bone in fracture of long bones.
- To prevent or correct deformity due to muscle spasm.
- To prevent complications of a fracture by immobilizing bone fragments.
The below items are mandatory during splinting an injury.
- A heavy stick,
- A rolled-up newspaper,
- A rolled-up towel,
- A board or plank.
What Types of Splints in Orthopedics?
The splint is classified into four which are discussed in the following:
It is a well-padded wooden splint. It is mainly used to immobilize the limbs during intravenous infusion. These splints must be well padded before use.
|Fig: Straight splint in orthopedics|
The splints made of Plaster of Paris are less expensive but heavy and can be easily broken and difficult to keep clean. The splints are made up of plaster bandages, usually 6-8 thicknesses of the required length. Plaster of Paris is then drawn through the water and is applied to the area. Here, the layers are rubbed together with the open hand. Roller bandages are used here to keep the slab in position.
|Fig: Plaster of Paris splint in orthopedics|
It is used to give support to the neck. The main uses of cervical collars are-
- To immobilize the neck in the suspected cervical fracture,
- To relieve muscle spasms of the neck,
- To support the head in degenerative disease of the cervical spine and after surgery.
|Fig: Cervical collars splints in orthopedics|
It is used to give traction in suspected or diagnosed fracture cases of the shaft of the femur to immobilize the part.
|Fig: Thomas splint in orthopedics|
Traction is maintained by the use of an ankle hitch, skin traction, or skeletal traction. The splint must be elevated to prevent the resting of the heel on the bed.
More questions related to this article:
- What is a splint in the human body?
- How do you use a splint?
- What are the types of splints?
- What are the different types of splints in orthopedics?
- Mention various types of splints with pictures.
- Describe the classification of splints with pictures.
- What are the key purposes of splinting in the human body?
- Mention some key objects of splinting in the human body.
- What types of items required for splinting?
- List some necessary items required for splinting.